It is official that I will be leaving my teaching career for at least a year and try a shot at this thing called "stay at home mom." I am scared and excited at the same time. Ian is really excited to have me home, and I am sure Boston and Blake will be too. If all goes well, then my teaching career will be put on hold for quite awhile, if I go completely crazy then I will try my darnedest to get back to work.
We are hoping that all goes well, so I need some advice from you other stay at home moms. What is the best way to make the experience enjoyable for everyone? How do I keep my kiddos happy, my husband happy, and MYSELF happy? What are some fun things I can do with Boston? I want to do a little preschool with him here at home, but don't know where to go to get ideas and such, so if you know of some good books or websites please do share. Wish me luck, and I hope to join a few play-date activities with my wonderful friends of whom I haven't had time to do much with!
Saturday, March 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
good luck!! I know that Jason is always happy if the house is clean and dinner is ready when he gets home ;) and then of course, if he is happy, usually the rest of us are too haha congrats!!
I am so excited for you! I hope it works out well. Being a working mom is so hard -- I'm glad you'll be able to spend more time at home.
i love staying home! i was afraid i'd go crazy because i get bored easily. but i seem to stay busy through the whole day and sophie and i have so much fun. i'm sure with 2 little ones you won't get bored :)
When I had my 2nd one I decided to stay at home. At first it was hard because I wasn't use to it. But now I love being at home with the kids. Make sure you get out every once in a while. That helps me. We go to the park or even to the store. And also there is so much info on the internet about preschool. I will look up the sites and then leave you another comment. I used some for my oldest. Good luck and maybe now we can get together sometime.
There are tons of free websites for preschool ideas, and all of the libraries have a toddler time at least once a week. My kids are happiest when we have an activity in the morning, so we have a set schedule for each day of the week with weekly playgroups, toddlertimes, and co-op preschools. We have to be out of the house by 10am or they melt-down, (quick park trips are always good.) And I don't know about Joanna, but I definitely don't have the house clean with dinner on the table every night, although we are all happier when I do. I just try to remember that life at this stage is suppose to be messy, and I won't ever regret the memories I have of playing with my kids.
Thanks for the advice! I already told Ian not to expect a clean house or dinner on the table when he gets home from work. That way I don't set myself up for failure, and then he will be happy when it is done. My focus for coming home is to spend time with my boys, and a clean house and warm cooked meal will come in second.
Being a stay at home mom is the hardest and most rewarding job i have ever had!!! Sometimes Chuck doesn't get a hot meal or a clean house... but I am not a maid or a chef. I am a SAHM and that is my #1 job. I would never trade the moments with my son for a paycheck or a hot meal. We have tons of fun and by the end of the day I am pooped!!! We live near tons of libraries... so we go to some sort of story time or parenting group 4 times a week. It's nice to get out of the house. I think it is important to still take time for yourself, though. Maybe while the kiddos are napping. At night after Ethan is put down I take an hour or so and go to the gym. It saves me.
I think you are going to like it. You will find plenty of stuff to do-- shopping, playing, napping, meal-times easily fill up
day
Liz just told me about an online preschool program that she has loved for Ethan. She said it has been great! Boston looked really handsom Saturday in his new outfit. He is a darling little boy. I think the best advice I can give about being a SAHM is to not be afraid to just sit down & have hugging time with your kids. It is also very challenging to find the balance of all the great & wonderful responsibilities of the job. So, when you do, let me know your secret. My poor husband gets a surprised look anytime he comes home to a calm, collected & clean house with a meal ready & waiting. I do know that sometimes, somethings gotta give. And it will all work out in the wash. Ooh that reminds me, I need to change the laundry!
Post a Comment