Saturday, January 14, 2012

Let's go ride a bike...

We took the training wheels off of Boston's bike a long time ago. However, it has been quite the ordeal to get Boston comfortable with the idea of riding his bike without them. He KNOWS how to ride his bike. He has the balance down. He can pedal just fine. Unfortunately, he has crashed a few too many times, which has created a little too much fear. Not that he got hurt real bad when he crashed, but the experiences were enough for him that he doesn't have much desire to ride his bike. Which is sad, because he loved to ride his bike when it had the training wheels.

Every ride takes a pep talk or two from Dad to encourage Boston to ride his bike. This happens after a lot of bartering to get him on his bike in the first place!

 Then there is an extra push from Ian to get him going. If you look closely in this picture, I think Boston is crying. He gets so upset about riding his bike, that he loses focus about "how to ride" his bike. Which in turn leads to him screaming, "Oh no! I can't turn! I can't turn! I'm going too fast!" and Ian and I are either screaming, "Use your brakes! or Turn! Turn!" which he doesn't listen, and crashes straight into the curb.

I know I am not getting mother of the year award for this, because I can't help but laugh EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.  I of course check to make sure he is okay, which he usually is. And we always make sure he is wearing a helmet, gloves, pants, and tennis shoes for good protection, so that cancels out the laughing, right? Right?  Boston knows how to turn. Boston knows how to use his brakes. He has been riding a bike since he was two!

 Here is proof that he can balance and pedal just fine. Now only if we can build his confidence on turning and  braking. There are a lot of fun bike trails to ride around here, so I hope he can figure it out quickly. He would love it so much!

We brought the tricycle for this little monkey to ride. But his legs are still too short to reach the pedals. Hopefully soon though.  As soon as he can learn how to pedal on the tricycle, then he will get to advance up to the two-wheeler with training wheels.
Then this crazy man decided to give Blake a ride with him! He took him on a quick ride on the path around the park, but it was enough to keep me on pins and needles until I could have Blake back down on the ground! Both boys seemed to love it though!

I love my boys! I love where I live, especially since we can enjoy bike rides in January! I am one lucky lady!

1 comment:

Lamochops said...

Awe, that Ian taking Blake for a ride...that is Nothing like what he & Nate used to do alone as kids. They were busy little bikers! So fun to see Boston trying it out. He will get it. I think that it is pretty normal to get a little scared. He sure is cute.