Saturday, June 2, 2012

What a week!

Here I am at 26 weeks! I've got a cute little baby bump. The baby moves around like crazy. The pregnancy seems to be going well, other than I walk a little funny, and trying to roll over in bed is a little awkward and is almost like an exercise routine just trying to get into that comfortable position!

Nearing the third trimester, I had plans going through my head of what to do to get the nursery ready. What fabric I wanted to buy to make car seat covers. And what I wanted to do to amp up the boys' room, since they will start to share a room real soon. You know, all the typical nesting stuff.

Well, as of right now my plans have been put on hold! I went and saw my doctor for my 26 week check-up. All was well. Everything checked out normal. Then he asked, "Have you had anymore bleeding?" I said, "Nope." Which was true, but I think he jinxed me! The following Sunday I woke up from a nap with a mild bleed. Saw my doctor again the following Monday, in which there was no more bleeding. I was expecting him to say, "Take it easy for the next couple weeks, and we'll follow up at your 28 week appointment." Instead he said, "You need to be on complete bed rest until the baby is born." What! I was shocked. Didn't want to believe it, and wasn't going to until I saw the results from the ultrasound that we scheduled for the next morning.

So Tuesday morning, I dropped my boys off at the sitters, and went in for my ultrasound. Sure enough, my placenta is still very very low! The ultrasound tech is holding out hope for me that my placenta will move up, but myself and the doctor are preparing for the worst. So my doctor reiterated again that I need to be on bed rest!

Fortunately, we have enough family members in town and wonderful friends, who are willing to take my boys during the day, while Ian is at work, so I can lay down 90% of my day, according to Dr orders!

Unfortunately, Thursday of the same week I was put on bed rest, I get a phone call from my husband telling me he has been in a car accident! What! Seriously!?! He was on his way home, with the boys in the car, to pick me up to go to dinner at my parents house to celebrate my nephew's recent high school graduation.



















Ian was literally two blocks away from home, TWO BLOCKS, when another vehicle ran a stop sign! Ian did everything he could to try to avoid the other vehicle, but it all happened so fast. Both airbags deployed, and totally damaged the front end of the car. Fortunately, everyone came out okay. The boys were a little shaken up at first, and Boston broke down in tears because "He really liked our car!" This made for a really long night for all of us, because we ended up going to the ER to have everyone checked out. The boys were acting like wild monkeys, so I knew they'd be okay, but just wanted to have that peace of mind. Ian's body stiffened up once the adrenaline wore off, so he was prescribed a muscle relaxer, and Ian had a burn on his hand from the air bag, but fortunately no major injuries. Thanks to Ian's sister and  brother-in-law for taking us to the hospital and waiting it out with us.
Now we are dealing with the waiting game from the insurance company. We really liked our car, and it was completely paid for, had been for 3 or 4 years, so we aren't very happy going through a car buying process again. We are grateful to have Ian's truck though, and that is what he is using to cart the boys around in. Bummer deal that it uses twice as much gas as the car did!

We are very fortunate that I wasn't in the car, and that everyone turned out okay.  During these times of trials, it just seems to be easier to focus on the blessings that have come through it all. We love our family and friends, and are anxiously awaiting the arrival of this baby girl!

2 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

you look great...glad to hear everyone is ok after the accident

Anonymous said...

Wow! 2 blocks from home - that's crazy! Glad everybody is a-okay! Sorry you're on bed rest! That's never any fun. Hopefully your placenta moves & you can get off of bed rest! Are you getting a c-section because of your low placenta?