Today marks one month since the initial diagnosis. As I have said before, it feels as if we have been living this nightmare forever. However, amid this scary journey, we have been given such an outpouring of love and support. For the sake of accidentally leaving someone out, I am not going to mention a lot of specifics, but we are so grateful for the meals, the blankets, the flowers, the groceries, the gifts, and all of the thoughts and prayers. We are blessed with such great families and friends. THANK YOU!!!
In this last month, I have met with my surgeon on a weekly basis, between initial consult, surgeries, and follow-up appointments. I realize that I will probably sit down with her again next week to discuss my port placement, and then again the week after that for the surgery for my port placement. I guess it is a good thing that I like her! :)
In this last month we have talked a lot about my tentative treatment plan. We've done a lot of research on chemo to gain a better understanding of what we'll be going through. We've been given a lot of advice from others as what to expect when we begin our chemo treatments. It will be a couple more weeks before we embark on that journey, and to be honest, I am a little nervous. However, everyone's experience with chemo is different, so I just have to wait and see how my body will respond.
My case was presented before the tumor board yesterday. As a team, they decided that I should get an MRI done to make sure that there isn't anything "hiding." I told this to my friend, and her response made me giggle. "Hiding? Like gremlins?" Ha! I will get my MRI done tomorrow afternoon, and then meet with my Medical Oncologist next Wednesday to make sure that there aren't any additional "gremlins" in my breasts. The tumor board also agreed that I should have the genetic testing done. I have an appointment with the geneticist on December 10th. The test is done by a blood draw. It will take 3-4 weeks to get the results. Fortunately, we don't have to put off chemo to have this test done.
We met with our surgeon again today. She said that I am healing well. Everything looks good. I am still swollen, so I still don't know the exact effects of the surgery. Time will tell. I am still a little sore, but I haven't taken any pain medication since last Saturday, because the pain is quiet minimal and bearable.
I still have difficulty sleeping. I have been to work everyday this week. I began cooking for my family again. I did lace up and run about 2 miles yesterday, slowly (but it really felt fast for me). It has been great getting back into a normal routine again. This busyness keeps me tired, but I'd rather be tired from actively busy than tired from lounging around all day.
I met up with a support group tonight. It's a group of young women in my same age range who are currently on the early stages of the journey, and/or women who have been cancer free for a couple years but who have their experiences to share with us newbies. It was just a small group tonight, but were great women. Great women who can share their journey and prove that it's a battle that can be won! We ate food, talked, shared, and laughed.
I realize that my life will never be the same as what it was before the diagnosis a month ago. However, I realize that my life hasn't stopped because of the diagnosis. It's been good to laugh with friends. It's been good to spend time with my family. It's been good to cherish special moments with my children and husband. My life may not be the same, but it will continue, and I will be able to create more memories, enjoy more laughter, and just be grateful to be living!
Thursday, November 14, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I hope you are not tired of hearing how amazing you are, because I am going to say it again! You are amazing! I am glad that the support group was a good experience! Thanks for the updates!
Ryan and family my heart goes out to you and your family as you know you will hear an overwhelming amount of advise herbal treatments doctors opinions friends opinions my greatest advise for you is to listen to your body and to listen and follow the promptings of the spirit and rely on priestood blessings and the savior it is the only strength that will lift you in your darkest hour and keep yourself doing as many normal activities as you can with your family and kids and keep running as you can you are in our prayers and if you ever need to vent or talk i know you dont know me that well i am here your husband will need your family and friends to wrap their arms around him also as the care giver
Post a Comment