Tuesday, July 1, 2008

He's a Natural!

I had been meaning to buy Boston a toothbrush for a long time, but kept forgetting. Well, I finally remembered, and bought him his first toothbrush this past Saturday. He only has seven teeth, but I knew that I should have started brushing them a long time ago. So when he got out of the bath on Saturday night I had planned to brush his teeth for the first time. Well, he didn't like that so much, because I had to hold his cheeks to force him to open his mouth, and he just screamed and cried and kept jerking his head away.

Well, I watched a Super Nanny episode a long time ago, where the mother would hold her kids down and brush their teeth for them, and the kids reaction was the same as Boston's. It was painful for me to watch, so I could only imagine how the kids felt. And the kids were 8 or 9 years old, mind you. Super Nanny told the mom that she is creating such a negative experience for the kids that it is no surprise the kids don't want to brush their own teeth.

From the great words of wisdom from Jo Frost, aka Super Nanny, I didn't want to make teeth brushing a negative experience for Boston Boy, so I gave him the toothbrush to hold so he could become familiar with it. And to my surprise, Boston put the toothbrush in his mouth and started chewing on it and then he started brushing his own teeth. He is a natural! When I was done lathering Boston up with lotion and putting his diaper on, I took the toothbrush and helped him brush his teeth a little more and their were no complaints from him.

Teeth brushing his now part of his bedtime routine, and he doesn't seem to have a problem with it at all. Hopefully this will develop into a wonderful habit of clean hygiene and he will always be proud to show off his pearly whites.

7 comments:

Neilson Family said...

What a good boy!!! It's AMAZING how fast these kids are growing up! Good job Boston Boy!!!

Jessica said...

Boston is adorable. Don't ya love super nanny?

Heather Layton said...

I'm loving the hair! I can't wait until Tysen has hair long enough to play with. I'm glad you posted this cause I missed that episode and I've thought about how to attack the issue. By the way, we are in Hurricane, I just never go into St. George on pleasure trips. Amazing how a baby and the price of gas can change your life so drastically!

Jason and Joanna said...

haha- i totally watched that episode of Super Nanny too! I think it's a good show! But good job Boston, and good job to you, Ryan, for remembering what JoJo taught! :) By the way- Boston's hair looks awesome!

Johansen Family said...

He is such a cute kid!!! Haven was looking at the pictures with me and thought that it was him when he was a baby!

Reuben and Laura Evans said...

Hey I can't believe how big your boy is getting since the last time I had seen him. Man time flys. So what are you guys up to this summer?

Brittani Terry said...

I cannot believe how big your little boy is. Last time I saw you guys you had just found out you were pregnant. CRAZY!! If you want to see my blog send me an e-mail at brittanit@gmail.com and I will send you an invite. It was good to see what is going on with you guys now a days!!
Brittani Terry