On Thursday, I got a phone call from my surgeon. She informed me of the additional pathology results we were waiting for. She offered some good news and some bad news, which when dealing with cancer, one would often think that it is all pretty much bad news. However, I will take whatever good news we can at this point. The good news is, is that the cancer cell that has taken up residence in my body is an Estrogen and Progesterone rich cancer cell. The even better news is, is that it is 100% estrogen. The good outcome of this is that there is an antibody called Tamoxifen that I will be taking to fight off this cancer cell. However, I will most likely be taking Tamoxifen as a daily pill for five years.
The bad news is that the cancer cells are HER2 positive, which means this is a very aggressive type of cancer. Furthermore, this type of cancer cell can occur in other types of cancer, not just breast cancer. The tentative plan treatment for HER2 are going to be Herceptin infusions that are done every 3 weeks for one year. Additional bad news is that my lymph node did test positive for cancer cells, so that means that there are cancer cells most likely traveling through my blood stream.
So the tentative treatment plan will go as follows: I will have a lumpectomy on Wednesday, October 23rd. During this procedure my surgeon will remove the two lumps at the bottom of my breast, remove a few lymph nodes in my arm pit, and remove a few more calcification spots that are throughout my breast. The goal at this point is to save as much of my breast as possible. The lumps and surrounding tissue will be biopsied further to see if all of the cancer cells have been removed. If not, then I will have to go back under and most likely have a mastectomy. If the lumpectomy goes well and my body recovers well, then chemotherapy will start about 30 days after surgery. I haven't met with an oncologist yet, so we don't know the exact treatment plan, this is all coming from my surgeon. My treatment plan will consist of chemo, radiation, herceptin treatments, and tamoxifen pills. If we end up doing a mastectomy, then I probably won't be doing radiation.
On Friday I met with another young woman who is battling breast cancer herself. She was a great help and offered a lot of "tricks" and advice as we begin our journey. She prepared us for how it will be when my hair starts to fall out, and what type of pillow case is best to use. She offered some little tips that will help me get through my chemo treatments, such as chewing gum, and not eating my favorite food, bring a warm comfy blanket, nose spray will be my new best friend, be prepared for canker sores in my mouth, and what types of socks work best when dealing with neurapathy. These are little tips that only one could offer if they have gone through chemo themselves. Every cancer patient's treatment plan is going to be different, but I feel so much better being a little better prepared for what to expect.
It's going to be a crappy road ahead. A crappy, crappy road, but we will get through this! Because I will most likely be losing my hair the first part of December, I wanted to have some family pictures taken. My mom is awesome, loves to take pictures, and has a nice camera, so on Saturday morning she snapped a few pictures for us.
Here is one of me, just to capture my long hair. It hasn't been this long since Boston was a year old, five years ago! It's going to be a sad day when it's all gone. :/
I also wanted to get a few pictures of me with my individual kids, as well as Ian and I, and a few family pictures.
Family pictures are not my favorite. My kids don't sit still. But, my mom was able to capture a few great shots.
After pictures, we sat the boys down and told them what was going to be happening to me. We told them that I was sick and that I am going to need surgery and a lot of special medicine to help me get better. We warned them that this special medicine was going to make me even more sick and that all of my hair will fall out. When we told Boston that, he covered his hand over his mouth and just giggled. My boys don't really understand what will be happening. Why would they? Ian and I don't fully understand what will be happening. This is a process that we will just have to face and adapt as we go. Boston is quite nervous and scared, along with Ian and I. All of my kids will be shaped differently because of this challenge. Heavenly Father must have created them to be strong, strong individuals, to be so young watching their mother battle cancer. Please keep my kids in your prayers, and love them so much if you get the opportunity to play with them and take care of them while I am down.
We are SO blessed with wonderful family, friends, and an awesome ward family. We have a whole army full of Cancer Warriors. We have people who are ready to do whatever it takes to help us get through this fight. This is going to be a long, long process. We appreciate all of your love and prayers and help. Now, lets fight this fight and win!
8 comments:
You are one amazing woman Ryan! I am impressed that you can put into words what is going on for you right now. We are ALL here for you, any day any night. The whole family (kiddos & ALL) are praying for you & your family. We all love you so much. You are one KICKER. So kick it big time. :)
You are incredible Ryan! Such a shinning example of a faithful woman. Bless your heart, and your breast for that matter. Love ya bunches lady. Hold tight to your faith, and the blessings received and those promises shared with you. The Lord is well aware of you and this trial. Hold tight to this knowledge and yes- fight like a girl until you're victorious! You have an army of cancer warriors on both sides of the veil. You are never alone. xoxoxo Morgan
Ryan, I cannot say this enough: YOU ARE AMAZING!!! I am so impressed with your eloquence and ability to share your thoughts and feelings so clearly under these circumstances. I love the family pictures your mom took. You all look so beautiful, handsome and happy. This cancer fight will not take that away from you. Your hair may go, you may feel sick and you will surely have some very rough days ahead, but you will remain beautiful both inside and out! We will be sending prayers and love to you, Ian and the kids. I have heard people say they can feel the strength from those praying for them and this is my hope for you. You are strong, but the army of family and friends supporting you will make you even stronger. Love and hugs to you, Ian and the kids!
oh Ryan, it is so YOU to be asking for prayers on behalf of your kids! Of course, we have been praying for your whole family! And I'll throw a few prayers in just for you as well! ;) You are amazing, and I know that you will beat this. Your pictures are adorable. And I personally think that you will be one hot bald lady!
Ryan - keep up the amazing attitude! It will help so much with this fight! Having watched my SIL the past couple years - her attitude is what kept everyone around her strong! You're a fighter and your gonna kick this cancers ass!
If you need anything - let me know! Prayers headed your families way!
Ryan I love your story! It reminds me of my grandma (nana) who is a Breast Cancer Survivor! She just finished radiation on her birthday this last August. It breaks my heart to see people I love and know go through this. I want to be able to go through this journey with you just like I did with my grandma (nana)! I know you are probably thinking I can't do it because if my age. But I am not just a 13 year old girl I am someone who cares for others and I am willing to do whatever I can to help you! I haven't known you for very long but I still love you too pieces just like everyone else. I am telling you now if you need anything let me know on Facebook. �� GO BEAT THIS CANCER AND WIN! GO. FIGHT. WIN! ��
I so very much appreciate the updates! You're always on my mind, so thank you for keeping us informed! Your family pictures are adorable! Keep your head up and stay strong! Our family has been and will continue to pray for you and your family! Love ya!
This made me tear up! You are a strong lady & you are surrounded by strong warriors that will be with you every step of the way. I will keep you & your family in my thoughts & prayers.
Post a Comment